Now, don't get me wrong, I do love these years, where I can fool around without grieving the kids' ego, or to put it mildly without embarrassing them. However teenage should not be all that dark and gloomy. Looking from a positive perspective might even induce me to actually look forward to the years of doom as I'm sure many of the troubles we face with toddlers will disappear. Let me illustrate...
1. Food. Hands up all of you who had, are having, or have had trouble feeding your little kid. Daniel was the one who gave me the hardest time with baby food. I remember so clearly one episode when I was trying to feed him marrow soup. The soup was everywhere but in his mouth, let alone in his tummy. He was green from head to toe! Now our main problem during meals is that they get distracted, either with chatting, day-dreaming or playing with food that we have to keep reminding them to eat. To encourage them to eat at a steady pace, we tell them that if they eat in less that 45 minutes, they would be allowed to watch some Baby TV. Otherwise it would be too late and they'd have to go sleep straight away. Now take teenagers. They just gobble up whatever is in their way, including you if you're half way between them and a muffin!
2. Sleep. We all know how hard is to get young ones to sleep or nap. An entire hour of bed time routine only to hear them ask for a drink, to go potty, to tie hair in a pony tail etc., as soon as lights are out. And of course, in the morning they're the first to be up eager to start their day full of fun-"Yippee mum, it's morning. Let's go". Needless to say in this house no one naps. On the contrary teens tend to like sleeping in. I've heard mums calling theirs off-springs with the megaphone to wake them up in the morning. "Mum, it's not even noon yet!".They also tend to monopolise the couch for their afternoon 3 hour nap. Poor kids, they are growing so fast. And after making them, forcing them even to dry the dishes after lunch, they should have some deserved rest.
3. Proximity. Babies and toddlers suffer from separation anxiety. At a certain stage if you disappear from their sight they cry their heart out. They get over that stage when they start walking. Why? Because they can follow you of course! And follow you they do, even unto the end of the world, thus no one should be surprised that a toddlers follows you to the bathroom. Teens on the other hand, suffer from 'I don't want my friends to see you' anxiety. Goodness forbid that you accompany a teen anywhere (unless they need a lift of course). I've also read that parents should avoid waving at (worse still calling) a teen in public. Experts advice that if you see your teen in public, just pretend that you don't know him/her. S/he might be grateful and dry the dishes without grumbling much.
4. Helping. Toddlers love to help around the house. They love feeling useful and 'grown -up'. Of course little mishaps always happen: a broken glass, split water, food flying off a plate, a messed up cupboard. With teens there is absolutely no danger that any of these mishaps happen. Why? Because most of the time they are eating, sleeping or out of your sight!
Oh yes, I SOOOOO much look forward to my kids' teenage years, but in the mean time I will enjoy this bundle of blessed happiness as much as I can!

Last Saturday we took the kids for a bike ride.

8 comments:
I am currently experiencing both ends of the spectrum - toddlers, preschool, elementary school and teenage years.
All ages have their plus lists and their negative lists. I don't know what my favorite age would be . . .
I do really enjoy Katelyn being 15 . . . right now the toddler years are really getting tough.
Give me babies and toddlers anytime, dirty nappies and all!!!
Of course I do not like sleepless nights and dirty nappies but I still prefer toddlers!! However
children grow up so quickly that it's better to cherish every moment.
Dear Julie, what a blessing and what a challenge! Your Katelyn is such a blessing! Of course I was being very ironic in my post!
Dear Marie6, Bill Cosby once said: Give me 200 toddlers and I will conquer the world.
Hello dear Kerubinis! What a lovely surprise! Thanks for stopping by. Yes you are right! They grow up too quickly...as quickly as the white hairs appearing on my head! Maybe there's a direct co-relation???
When we had babies, people talked about the terrible twos. But they weren't so terrible because we worked hard with the child training -- so I think we will continue to work hard with our kids according to Scriptural principles and the teenage years won't be as bad as people say either. :) That's our hope anyway!
Funny & insightful, but sad too. It's sad that so many teenagers don't want to interact with parents. I got fed up as a child with being told I would be a terrible teen - I LOVED my parents and liked being with them! If children are brought up in God's Word, by God's grace they end up being a blessing! I am thoroughly enjoying my kids being little though - every moment is precious!! :)
Dear Isabel, it isn't a pain to answer you at all! I appreciate your openness and willingness to discuss things in love. So true, the most important thing is that we believe in Christ alone for salvation rather than any of our own merit or good works to earn salvation!! God bless you, dear sister!
Isabel,
Though those youngster days may seem tiring, embrace them with all you have as they will be gone before you know it.
I have not seen the Little Women cartoon but it is refreshing to know there is one. And as for the books, I loved Jo's Boys as well. :)
A bit of news, I am hoping to have a giveaway every month. Tomorrow I will post the particulars for January and I hope you will join us for the fun.
Blessings.
Thanks for the invite, Isabel! :) I think though that Malta would be TOO hot for me... maybe somewhere in between? ;) I do love living in Northern Ireland... maybe with my light box & vitamin D tablets I will get enough "sun." We've been getting more wind lately too.
haha, no, you don't really need it, except maybe on a few winter days!
I think I'm adjusting to the new dose a lot better than the previous dose. I really think the light box may be helping... I always feel improved after using it. :)
Wow, is that ordinary appointments or specialist ones?
That's great you read a variety of books! I try to measure books up against the Bible, as the Bereans did when they heard Paul teach... they "searched the Scriptures to see whether these things were so." :)
Love you!
Post a Comment