Thursday, January 15, 2009

31

It happened... yesterday I turned 31! I'm officially in my early thirties, and I must confess that it feels great!

When I was younger, I viewed people in their thirties as adults, almost old and up to a few months ago I wasn't very looking forward to my birthday. Until I gave it some thought and realised how many advantages there are at 30+, as opposed to being 10, 15, 18, 20, 25 or 29.

1. At 10 life started to get tough. There were exams, an entry to a new (secondary) school, the challenge of making new friends...
2. At 15 it got even tougher because of acne...
3. Even worse than acne at 18 boys come into the scene. At least acne went away(most of it anyway) , but at one boy is here to stay!
4. At 20 was time to start making the real important decisions in life: getting ready to be married and graduate at the same time.
5. At 25 kids started coming along and mums know how hard it is, especially with the first baby!
6. And until I was 29 I was too much concerned about people's opinion of me, sometimes shaping my behaviour to please them.

With all this behind me, being 31 is FREEDOM! Freedom from the need to impress anyone with my behaviour, my clothes or my words. FREEDOM from the fear of making mistakes as a mother...after almost 5 years of motherhood I would be shocked if an hour passes without making one parenting mistake. FREEDOM to be whom I was meant to be, and liking the person that's emerging.

Thank you Father for these wonderful 31 years you lent me and for the immeasurable graces and divine providence you blessed me with. Forgive me for the time I wasted on foolish things. Help me live the rest of my life according to your will, in wisdom and with a thankful heart. Amen.

4 comments:

marie6 said...

Happy Birthday from all of us and 3 big kisses from the kids!!!

Dina said...

HAppy birthday Isabel from all camilleris. We wish you all the very best.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Now you're the same age as me! :) I'm happy being 31 because it doesn't seem old and also I had such poor health most of my 20's, so I just appreciate whenever my mood is good and enjoy life!!

Camille said...

Welcome to the 31 club! it's a great place to be, with fantastic women who have gone before you.

Except for the grey hairs. Don't know how to get rid of 'em. Dangit!!