These days I have realised that things which are supposed to be relaxing, like taking a walk, can become quite stressful when you do them with/ for young kids. Take reading a book. My kids love them and I read to them everyday. So everyday we have to go through these hurdles to "enjoy" our books. First obstacle: where is everyone going to sit? Kids argue because everyone wants to be closest to the book to have an unobstructed view of the illustrations. So it takes a few minutes until all are settled down and happy with their spot. And if someone moves, we start all over again. Second obstacle: who's going to read the story? Although my kids don't know how to read, they know most of the stories because they heard them a million times. So every now and then, someones, especially the, girls want to say the story. Of course this makes room for grumbling from the other parties. So mum has to explain that it is a good thing to listen to one another, without interrupting. Which brings me to the next obstacle: interruptions. I don't mind kids' questions, (well, for most of the time), but please don't interrupt me in the middle of a sentence to ask what is this, and what is that, and who is this and what is that doing... Which really makes me wonder how much of the story they are understanding! So I have to remind them not to interrupt and ask questions only at the end of a page. By the time e finish all the books, I am freaking out, but yes there is another obstacle: putting the books back in the shelf. I don't need to go into much detail do I? I will let this picture speak for itself.

Same goes for watching a DVD. This is supposed to be the ultimate stress less activity, right? Wrong. You might be familiar with the irresistible feeling of drowsing off on the sofa (or settee, right Cori?) while in front of the TV. But my kids won't let you. First because I have to re-phrase what everyone is saying, as my kids are constantly asking: what did he say? what is happening? can you tell us the story? Secondly because my kids happen to be very sensitive, and will feel anxious and cry even during Winnie the Pooh movies, even if the watched it several times.
Going for a hot chocolate and doughnut! Ah, does that sound nice or what? Well let's the hot choc and doughnut on one end of the scale and waiting for them to come, getting all smudged with jam and the hot chocolate, several trips to the potty, urges to eat more quickly, the several complaints such a s "This is not the doughnut I wanted", or "She has more chocolate in hers!" on the other end. What do you say??
The least stressful activity we do is going to the beach, which we do everyday on our long summer. However this is not at all devoid of stress. First big one is finding a parking, which is usually a 5 minute walk to the beach. Not much you say but please consider that we are normally carrying: 2 chairs, an umbrella, a bag with towels, a picnic cooler, another bag with essentials for making tea, boards, inflatables, beach toys, fishing nets, and 2 jerrycans with fresh water for rinsing the kids. Add this to 3 kids who complain if asked to help carry some thing, and you have got 2 stressed out parents. Then once we settle in our spot we have to put sun screen and armbands on. In what ways is this stressful? Well have you ever tried to catch a kid all smothered in sunscreen to pot on this armbands before he rushes to the sea? If you did, you know perfectly what I mean. Once everyone is settled and mum and dad have finally entered the cool refreshing water..."Mum I am thirsty", "Mum I want to eat", "Dad lets' go fishing", "So and so splashed me", "Dad can you throw me up in the air?", "Mum I am feeling cold", " Dad let's make a mountain", "So and so is not letting me play"...
But in spite of it all, I can't wait to go to the beach!!
13 comments:
That's funny, and it all sounds so familiar!
How very familiar!! Hey great family shot ;) !!
haha! Hope you have a great time, dear Isabel! Love the picture!
Re: Your comment: Thanks, Isabel!! I know, it's so good to have that over with! We had a really good holiday - post to follow very soon, hopefully! (I'm finally back to the blog world!)
Sure, Isabel, thanks for asking!
Isabel,
I remember those days! Life does get better and easier. Hoping you have a cool summer evening.
Gina
Great photo! I agree with Laura, it does sound familiar. :) You are not alone.
Funny how we long for vacations and trips to the beach --even though they can be stressful. :)
--Naomi
P.S. I wanted to say, too-- Your kids are growing up so fast! :)
Although your kids can be really demanding yet you retain your sense of humour...Wow that's amazing!
Hope you are enjoying your summer, Isabel! I envy all the sun you're probably soaking up right now!! :D
So funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just dropping by to say hi! I can imagine lovely days at the shore!
Gina
Your post rally made me laugh, can so relate! I have a five year old boy a three year old girl and a nearly two year old girl and they like to do the same thing (walk in different directions when we take a 'stroll' , bicker endlessly about which story and who sits where and interrupt to ask questions when we read stories every night or shout out in the case of the one year old when she sees a bear, or a baby or a duck (which then happens on every page) yes-sometimes the little things can be quiet a stress (and of course full of funny moments) like meal times. Nice family photo. Its so hard to get everyone looking in the same direction and sitting in still I find!
Post a Comment