...Questions! Young kids continuously ask questions. That's no news. Experts say it's a positive thing: asking a lot of questions is a sign of curiosity, intelligence and a developing mind. However a kiddo asking lots of questions means a mama (or papa) who has to provide the answers. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.
Reading a book to kids takes ages, not because the story is long, but because of the loads of questions asked along. First comes identification of the characters, who is who and who said what. Then the interrogation:
Why do the pigs want a new home? Why does he build the house out of straw/ sticks/bricks? Why does the wolf blow the house down? Can the wolf blow our house down? Why is it he doesn't come back? It's like telling the story to a NY PD detective! And the thing is that every time we read the story they ask the same exact questions all over again!
Meal time questions.
"Mama, how do they make fish?"
"The mother fish lays some eggs and soon after tiny fish pop out".
"No. How do they make fish fingers?"
"Fishermen catch the fish, they clean it, slice it and put it in batter".
"But are the fish dead by then?"
"Yes dear"
"Do we get eaten when we die too?"
"Oh no dear! We go to Jesus in heaven".
"Where is Jesus?"
"In heaven, on earth and everywhere".
"Does Jesus see us?"
"Yes"
"Does he have eyes?"
"Yes he does".
"And bones...?"
Then there's DVDs. My kids still don't understand English that much, so I have to tell them what's going on.The problem is that they ask so many questions that I am not able to listen to the dialogues! It's a good thing that they watch the same DVDs over and over. Maybe by the 1oth time I'd be able to nap through the movie.
Then there's THE QUESTION. Mama where do babies come from?! It's the question all parents fear most. How do you go about this? You tell them about them stork? Well maybe that's old fashioned. FedEx would be more credible, won't it? The thing is that the more they grow up, the more subtle the questions become: Mama how does the baby get inside the mummy's tummy? "God puts it there dear". I shiver at the thought of the next question: But how does He put it there? Worse still: How does the baby get out?
"OK kids shall we watch a DVD??? I'll be more than happy to answer all your questions about The Little Mermaid..."
8 comments:
FAntastic!! that's great. So good to read your pieces.
As you know Andy is into the 'why?' right now and he keeps asking 'why?' each time you give him and answer, 'but why?'........'but why?' .......
That is so true.... the questions just go on and on! LOL I've told my kids there's a baby growing in my belly... so now they say, "Mom, open your belly for a second so we can see the baby!" Oh, how I wish it were THAT easy. LOL
Hahahahaha that is so funny, Isabel!! I remember as a kid we had a game of asking why until the interrogated person was flummoxed for an answer and could only respond, "Because God made it that way!!"
My kids don't ask quite so many questions. Hm, is that a good or bad thing? Isaiah asks the most. He likes to know how things work.
My kids kind of know how a baby gets out... through a hole in Mommy's belly is the easiest answer, and true enough for me to feel comfortable with. They seem satisfied with this, thankfully.
Thanks for asking about me, Isabel! I'm doing much better today, praise God. :)
Dear Nadine, thanks for your kind words. Yes I know your why guy! Andy and Daniel should spend a day together by themselves, so they can exasperate one another with their whys...and their whines!
Dear Naomi, how sweet your kids are! Wouldn't it be fantastic to have a peep?!
Dear Mary, so glad to hear you are getting better.Thanks for yout comments. You are so kind. Kids are so intergued with life's mysteries aren't they?
Thanks, Isabel!!! Tell Kenneth he can have lots of days off here to visit. Companies here tend to give around a month a year off (some mandatory, some free holidays) - I'm not sure if it's the same with his line of work? The workplace tends to be more family-oriented here, not as workaholic as some other countries. We'll give you guys the grand tour!! :)
Just saw your reply to me on this post! You are so kind too! :) I know, I think kids are often particularly fascinated with babies and how they come about! Funny how they gravitate towards the most awkward conversations... though I supposed it's only natural to be interested in how they came into being...!!
another why from a very tired and cranky Andy today. Whilst waiting for Isla to finish her ballet lesson Andy was in no good mood, anyway to the why question ...... "mum why can't you sing happy birthday to me today and it will be my birthday so I be five?"
my reply "if we sing happy birthday it will not be April and you will not turn 5 dear!"
Andy: " uffff but mum (lots of never ending whining involved here ) I want to be five to play soccer"
my reply: "don't worry sweat heart before you know it will be april and you will be 5 ok"
Andy (big whine) " uuuuuuuuuu mux fair.... Isla is five, you are five and papa is five too , jiena biss le!!"" and lots of more whining!!!!!
Post a Comment