Imagine substituting the word love, with 'a mother'
*Love is suffers long ... she listens to the children's songs, she dances to their music on pots and pans, she reads them yet another story, she holds and hugs them even when she is busy.
And is kind...she speaks with gentle tones, uses gentle words. She kisses the pain away. She dries the tears and chases away the fears.
Love does not envy...she does not push her children to be better than other children, but to be the best they can.
Love does not parade itself...she does not take pride in her achievements, but is grateful to God for the precious gift God has given her through her children, though unworthy.
Is not puffed up...she admits her imperfection, seeks forgiveness and rises after every fall, with God's help.
Does not behave rudely...she respects children as persons, even in the way she disciplines her children. She does not ridicule, shame, belittle or insult.
Does not seek its own...she doesn't put her needs first, but those of her children. She sits on the carpet to play with the children, even though her back aches a little. She stays up with the sick child, though she'd rather be sleeping. She insists on helping her children study and behave well, even though it maybe easier to just give up on them.
Is not provoked...she doesn't burst shouting when children misbehave. She doesn't complain because children are in the way, but is thankful that they are.
Thinks no evil...she believes that her children are made in the image and likeness of God, and thus tries her best to let God's light shine through them.
Does not rejoice in iniquity...when her children make a mistake she doesn't tell them with satisfaction "You deserve it, because I told you so", but graciously forgives them, helps them get up again, move on, and forgive themselves.
But rejoices in the truth...and she shares the truth with her children, that we are made for God, and without Him, there is no rest for our souls.
Bears all things, endures all things...the smudges on the windows, the fingerprints on the furniture, the scratches on the wall and the stains on the clothes, the mess, as long as her house is a home.
Love never fails...she loves her children unconditionally, and makes sure her children know it.
*1Cor 13:4-8
Bible verses are taken from the New King James Version

18 comments:
you made me read this morning, and what a nice piece to read this is, however i do not have the kjv version. This is how it reads on mine... love is patient, love is kind. It does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not deligh in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes , always perseveres.
It's a beautiful translation, especially the last verse. Thanks.
Oh, wow, super post. Very very good to be reminded of these things. How we need to show true love in all that we do, for God's glory!! My husband has the New King James Version too. He believes it is the best translation currently available.
Now as to your comment about moving over here - PLEASE DO!!! Only our little house would not fit you unless you don't mind sleeping in sleeping bags all over the floors in all the rooms, haha. But don't let this put you off. MOVE OVER HERE ANYWAY!!!! As long as you like rain. It rains a lot here. More than it used to. Although we had lots of sunny days in the spring and early summer, so maybe we have better weather yet to come. I hope. :) I would just love you and Nadine to come here. Is there any possibility?????
P.S. If you move here you could homeschool!!! ;)
Here's some info on Northern Ireland I wrote to Dina! Just in case it's useful to you...
I hope it works out you can come. :) Malta is in the EU, so there shouldn't be any VISA restrictions. The further south you live in Ireland, the sunnier and warmer it is; but it never gets very hot, just pleasantly warm. Up here in the north we get more rain, but there was lots of rain all over the island this summer. I haven't been to many places in the Republic of Ireland; but I can vouch for lots of lovely places here in Northern Ireland. You know that Northern Ireland is part of the UK? It is much more peaceful here now, no more "troubles" like in the 1970's-1990's.
I would say there would be a good demand for electricians here. There certainly is a great demand for builders. I presume he does electrical work on houses, or is he involved in design work? My husband is an electronics design engineer.
I don't know how the current economic crisis is affecting Malta. Here it's affecting the housing market in that it's difficult to sell houses and not easy to get a mortgage either. However I think it's easy enough to get a mortgage if you were to pay a certain percentage "up front." How much, I'm not sure.
We don't have many English-style cottages here; but if you really want an olde-world cottage you could always move to England! (Though I hope you choose Northern Ireland. ;) We do have plenty of nice houses here with nice back gardens. The newest houses have small back gardens but the ones from a few decades ago (like ours) have medium ones, and there are plenty of those left.
Hope this info helps. Let me know any further developments!! :)
Hey, Isabel! Haha. Well I don't mean to get you in trouble... ;) Exactly. With homeschooling it's no formal exams, no pressure, just making sure your child is learning and developing. I do make sure the children are generally keeping up with the children in schools here, but that's very easily done! The standards in schools here have dropped a lot of late, especially in the first 4 years of school.
I completely understand about your parents. My husband's parents married late and thus are quite old now, so we're glad to be here for them. Would it be possible for your parents to move here as well? I know if they're too old or too attached to Malta that would not be possible!
Hm. Okay, I'll get Nadine over here first, then we'll get you over! ;) But seriously, please don't feel any pressure from me. I'd love to have you here, but I completely understand about your parents and the trouble of switching jobs. May I ask what your husband does? (I may have asked before, I forget!!)
Hope you have a great day!
Love & hugs,
Mary
GREAT POST!!!!!!
Hello! I had to read this to my mom today. She loved it too! I love that passage in the bible and this made it so much more meaningful to me.
I have been meaning to ask you and Dina if there are 2 languages in Malta? Are your kids bi-lingual?
If so, are they mixing the languages? Iza is mixing polish and english a lot.
Loved your suggestion to Ivy!!!! hahaha. Here's my response on her blog: "I think Isabel's scheme is a great one. :) My garden is big enough for several tents. ;) And after all, Ireland is not too far from Poland... we could all live in the same area and homeschool and get together all the time and chat over tea while our kids play!!! That would be soooo fun. (She keeps dreaming... :)"
Here's some extra information about Northern Ireland that I wrote to Ivy on her blog:
"Despite the rain, it is a lovely place to live. Does Poland get a lot of rain? It was something I had to get used to after growing up in the sunny South. But I never liked the heat of American summers whereas I love the mild temperatures here and the ability to grow a huge range of flowers. Everyone grows flowers here. They are everywhere and they last well into winter. That is one of the thigns I love about living here. Also the lovely old buildings and gardens to visit (on dry days!!). :) There is more reserve about people here in general than in the American South, but it's in certain middle classes. What I mean by that is in general people are less open and sharing. But if you smile a lot and show genuine warmth, they often open up more. I had to learn that. :) Other people are not so reserved. It just varies."
Bonjour !
This blog is so pretty...
I'll come again te read all...
See You later.
Hi, Isabel! Just getting a chance to write you! This is probably... number 23 or so, hahaha!
I understand about your parents. It's not easy to move country - even for fit people! And they may also feel very attached to Malta.
Just showing my ignorance... what is a draughtsman?
Yes, there is a strong Christian ethos here, even though there are plenty of people who aren't Christians. For instance, abortion is still illegal here. All the major NI political parties oppose it as well as the majority of the population. The UK government has made numerous attempts to extend abortion to NI but thankfully they've all failed so far. May God enable it to continue to be so! It is SOOO refreshing to live in a country that does not allow abortion!!
Also, the leading political party in NI is entirely made up of Christians.
I completely understand how hard a decision it is. May God give you wisdom - I'll pray for that!! And if it His will for you to move here, a good job for Kenneth.
Already you've become a good friend. I am so glad that, whatever happens, I can "talk" to you on our blogs! :)
Love & hugs,
Mary
Yes, putting me on your blog list would be fine, thanks, Isabel.
Hi, Isabel, do come in! It's great to have a visit from you! ;)
Oh, wow. I'll have to ask Tim, but I think the architectural market is still pretty strong here. Less houses are being built with the economic downturn, of course.
Oh, good I'm glad you found earlier posts of the garden and kids! Didn't get a chance to post pics today but hope to tomorrow. :)
Thank you, God bless you all too!!
Much love,
Mary
Oh, I loved this. Thank you. I needed this today.
Hi, I've tagged you, go to my blog to see what it's all about!
We Mom's should all strive to be everything in your post! What a beautiful and wonderful way to put things into perspective!
Hugs and love,
You have been given an award . . . by me - COME BY AND GET IT!
HUGS
Post a Comment