Monday, April 27, 2009

Whoops! I did it AGAIN...

...I broke a(nother) glass! Yes, I must admit that I am a little clumsy and I tend to have these kind of accidents quite frequently. How frequently? Well, I started off with 12 small tumblers, and now (after 7 years) I've got ... 3! I know, it's unbelievable. However the one I broke today was of the longer type, of which I still have 5. My dinner set also has lots of pieces missing. I am sure no one will blame me for not offering to help my mother-in-law in the kitchen after Sunday lunch, especially when she takes out her best dinner set!

However I do believe that my real problem is not clumsiness per se, but distraction. I am very, very easily distracted. Many of the shattering accidents happen while I dry the dishes. I lost count of the number of times I am drying something, say a cup, then I get leave the cup wrapped in the cloth to do something, and when I come back to my job, I take the cloth, totally forgetting about the cup wrapped in there and SMASH! Yes, i know what you're thinking: I would be better off using a dishwasher.

My distraction is can be tedious sometimes. Have you ever found yourself in a room, asking: Why am I here? totally forgetting what you wanted from that room? It happens to me all the time. I even open the fridge and stand staring at it for minutes trying to remember what I wanted from there! And speaking about the fridge I once found my wallet in it!

Another thing that drives me nuts, but that I keep doing unconsciously is this. Picture it. I have something in my hand, say a pen. I need to go to another room in the house. I leave the pen somewhere along the way, not knowing where, because I wasn't even aware of leaving it! Then I spend half a decade looking for the pen. And my dear husband still asks me where things are, and is expects to be answered!

Can you even imagine how many times I have to come back home, shortly after leaving to make sure that I turned the gas/ iron/ fan off? Oh wretched me! And most of the times they are off, but the thing is that I don't remember turning them off, because my head is up in the clouds!

I leave you with this. When I was still teaching a boy in my class entered the classroom. I looked at him in awe and asked "Where have you been?" "To the bathroom Miss, you gave me permission to go".

No wonder I forget all about my kids while they are in for a time-out...better then misplace them in the fridge anyway!

8 comments:

A House FULL of Grace said...

If it makes you feel better, I'm down to three dinner plates. DH and I have started eating off the kids' plastic! When I walk away and leave the pen and somehow it's always the two year old who manages to find it, as our doors and walls can attest!

Have a great evening. ~sara

Sarah Mae said...

Ha! This is me! I think having two toddlers and a baby doesn't help!

IF said...

I know the feeling! I bought plastic plates in preparation for Olivia's arrival. After Izabella was born I broke a lot of plates and most of our nice glasses. I have still managed to break a lot of our nice bowls and plates lately. I know the feeling!!!! :) I always seem to break things when I am just so very tired and then I have a bigger mess to clean up.

Dina said...

What's this? distraction? it seems that I am surrounded by distracted family members and friends..... my dh for a start, then there is my daughter, not to mention my brother and I cannot not mention some dear friends ;)

Isabel said...

Dear Sara, Sarah Mae and Ivy: thanks for your sympathetic comments.

As for you dear Dina...I am sorry you have to keep up with all these distracetd persons. Maybe you have a mission to fulfill!!

Anonymous said...

I tend to have those issues as well. I am constantly asking - where is ??? or what were you doing??? only to be told I was in the corner or I was cleaning up toys just like you told me too!

Organization - that is something I am trying to achieve. Once everything is done,I hope to have achieved it.

Unknown said...

I can relate to this sometimes... my mom would say I need to be eating more omega 3 fatty acids, though. Helps brain function! ;)

Sometimes I find myself 'zoned out,' especially when I do the dishes. The kids seem to recognize when I'm not really hearing them, and they have started tapping my elbow to get my attention. (Kind of embarrassing really...)

Simply Heart And Home said...

A lovely Mother's Day to you, Isabel.

Gina