Monday, January 18, 2010

Home-made bread

I have discovered a passion for home-made bread. Here's how we do it.

1. Combine 7g sachet of yeast and 1 tsp sugar to 125ml warm water. Cover in plastic wrap and wait for bubbles to appear, as shown.


2. Sift 4 cups plain flour. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp sugar. Make well in center and add yeast mixture, 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 cup warm milk.


3. Mix until it's all guey and sticky.


4. Turn onto generously floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes until it is no longer sticky. Keep flour close by. You'll need lots of it!


5. Once dough is no longer sticky, pour some oil in bowl, 'wipe' oil with dough all over (so it won't stick to bowl when it rises). Cover in plastic wrap, and cover again with a cloth. Put it in a warm place and wait for dough to rise. Might take even up to 3 hours. This part kills me, because I'm always afraid it won't!!


6. Once dough has risen poke it to let air own. Kids love this part! Sorry camera was misbehaving at this point!


7. Kneed the dough a little, again using flour.


8. Form in whatever shape you like. We made small buns this time.Brush with oil. Cover in plastic warp and cloth, and let dough rise for about an hour or so.


9. Brush with milk to obtain a light sheen glaze. Pop in the oven (200 deg C for about 15-20 mins) and there you go!
Home made bread.

6 comments:

Dina said...

yumm!! and I can add that it tastes delicious too. ... thanks for sharing and helping out today. Leah is now fast asleep!!

Isabel said...

Ehe? Issa raqdet ja xadina!!

IF said...

Yummy, I love home-made bread too, that looks delicious!! Thank you for your email address!!!! I just got it... Hugs to you!!! :)

Simply Heart And Home said...

I can hardly wait to bake bread! :) Yours looks delicious. Mmm

Juniper said...

Yes, there is simply nothing like home made bread! It always makes the house smell so good and is just the trick with this cold weather. You may like this book-
Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes/dp/0312362919

Unknown said...

We'll definitely have to try this one. Looks easy and yummy. :)