Friday, November 7, 2008

Discipline


I read all the books on child psychology. All the articles from parenting experts. I search high and low on the Internet for good advice on discipline. But somewhere in between reading the good advise and practicing it there is a gap and I'm ending up scratching my head, wondering what to do next.

Why do kids have to test you? I mean they should know by now that when I've had enough of nagging, quarrelling, teasing, whining I throw a tantrum! I really admire families in which kids are well behaved, seem clean at all times of the day, say please and thank you without needing to be reminded, eat by themselves all there is in the plate...I could go on. Why are my kids not like that?



Let's talk about nagging. My son is an animated jack-hammer. When he wants something, let's say juice, he keeps on jack-hammering until he gets it. "Mama juice. Mama juice. Mama juice." (growing louder as he goes on) .The words "Wait a second" are not part of his lexicon apparently, because he just goes on and on.

Then there's the issue of saying please when asking for something. Why is it so difficult for kids to remember to say please and thank you. I try to ignore their requests, hoping they'll realise they forgot to say the 'magic word', but they just can't get it. I should write PLEASE on my forehead and THANK YOU on my back...too bad they can't read yet!



Sibling rivalry, translated teasing and quarrelling. Experts say kids do it to grab the parent's attention. Oh come on. Every parent knows that kids have teasing and quarrelling in their DNA, right into the roots of their very nature. There's something too exciting in knocking down a sibling's just created tower of blocks, or in scribbling over the sibling's finished drawing. And no toy on earth is more interesting than the one the sibling just decided to play with, even if it has been lying there untouched for the past 3 months. I'll soon start wearing a black outfit, whistle in one hand and red and yellow cards in the other. The thing is that many times I don't really know who started. Well that's true also for referees!


During meal times, we always have whine. No spelling mistake there! Someone has to whine at the table. It's our background music. If a miracle happens and no one is whining, Kenneth pinches Julia, because we've grown so much used to it! (Just kidding). Why do all the catastrophes of the world happen during meal times. Someone has to go to the bathroom, then the others follow suite of course. Emma feels every ache and pain at the table. Complaints on the menu never lack. Only Ringo behaves at meals!

Then when whining escalates to a tantrum, there's "the dance". Do your kids do it? Yes you know, they start with low jumping, then they start moving about and the jumping continues until it's wild dancing all over the house! That the moment someone needs a time out. And that someone is ME!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you read "To Train Up a Child?" It was given to us when we married and has been very useful.

We still go through phases, but they aren't long and we see improvement in behaviour.

If you are interested, you can get "To Train Up a Child" from www.nogreaterjoy.org. It's inexpensive.

--Naomi :)

Anonymous said...

Isabel, I am so with you!!! Where you at my house today??? Sounds like you were! Sometimes I just want to go and hide . . . no these actions don't just happen with your bundles of joy - I think most families experience them too.

Hugs . . . tomorrow is a new day!

Dina said...

Sorry?? who whines????

It seems like when Andy wants something he just cannot ask, he whines almost cries to be honest and if you dare tell him to wait just a little he'll stand next to me and keeps at it until I go. Right this minute for instance he is ''asking'' for his airport toy set...... I just wish you could hear him !! see you later dear :)

IF said...

Hi! I need some good books too. My sweet freind Laura told me about a good one a while back and I have to get the name of it again from her.
I go through phases with Izabella where bedtime is rough. Right now since Irek is out of town it has been more difficult. I think she tries to wait up on him. She also knows mama is a softy about one more book, or singing her to sleep, or rocking her when she asks...
She also started the repetitive asking. Especially to go use the potty whenever we go in a store because she wants to check out the toilet paper and soap. She also asks over and over at bedtime. She only goes half the time. I like the fact that she is asking to go but I don't like it when she tells me a story. I don't want to over-fuss at her because she is going to the bathroom. It is a hard balancing act!

Isabel said...

Dear friends, thank you all for your comments. Good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with behaviour!

Naomi will sure check that book out. I just ordered a book by Dr. Ray Guarendi. He is a catholic child psychologist, with 10 kids, all adopted! He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. And it's true what you said, it's phases.

IF said...

Ooo I bet that book is great considering he raised 10 kids!! Cool!
Have a beautiful Lord's Day!

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth has the jackhammar approach too. I think it's just the mentality of that age. Hard to wait. She will, though, if I speak firmly and warn her of discipline if she doesn't stop - and follow through if needed (while getting what she wants). It's much easier at Peter & Isaiah's age. "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp was a wonderful book on consistent, loving discipline and teaching. It is so important to train our children to love and serve God through Jesus. There's only so much they can learn at an early age, but the vital thing is addressing their HEARTS!! :)

Re your comment: Thanks, Isabel! It's wonderful to have a lovely little circle of friends. :) Sorry I didn't get back sooner - I was up to my eyes yesterday trying to get caught up with chores and homeschool. This flu is STILL hanging on...

Anonymous said...

Hi Isabel . . . I too was so happy to have a wonderful moment with our neighbor. It was really truly a God Moment . . . one of which I thought I would never ever see!

How are you and yours?

Camille said...

Dontchya just love being a mama? AHHHHHHHHHH some days I think I'm not going to make it. And then late at night I think, I CAN do this again tomorrow. And I do.

Thank goodness.